Last name: VINNARI
First names: MARKUS VALTTERI
Place and year of birth: Tampere, 1975
For publications see: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Markus_Vinnari
University lecturer: University of Helsinki, Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry, Department of Economics and Management, Food Economics and Business Management. Started in March 2019.
Education and degrees awarded
- Adjunct Professor (Docent) of Economic Sociology (specializing in Sustainable Development and Consumption), University of Turku, Department of Economic Sociology, 2013. Teaching demonstration grade: good.
- Doctor of Science in Economics and Business Administration, Turku School of Economics, University of Turku, Department of Economic Sociology, 2010.
- Master of Science (Engineering) Tampere University of Technology, Department of Environmental Technology. Major subject: Environmental Biotechnology 2003.
- Master of Science (Economics), University of Tampere, 1999. Major subject: Economics. Minor subjects: Accounting and Finance, Statistics.
Previous work experience
- Post-Doctoral researcher: University of Tampere, Faculty of Management, Environmental Policy, 31.7.2018-28.02.2019. Project: Politics, practices and the transformative potential of sustainable diets (POPRASUS). Funded by: Academy of Finland.
- Post-Doctoral researcher: University of Tampere, Faculty of Management, Environmental Policy, 1.8.2015-31.7.2018. Project: Rethinking the framework of sustainability: sustainability transition and food consumption (ReFrame 2050). Funded by: Faculty of Management
- Post-Doc researcher, University of Eastern Finland, Environmental policy, 1.10.2010-31.7.2015. Funded by: Academy of Finland and University of Eastern Finland
- Researcher, University of Eastern Finland, Environmental policy, 1.3.2009-30.9.2010. Funded by: Academy of Finland
- Research trainee, Turku School of Economics, Finland Futures Research Centre, TULIO researcher school, 1.10.2008-28.2.2009.
- Researcher, Turku School of Economics, Rector research school, 1.3.-30.9.2008.
- Project Manager, Turku School of Economics, Finland Futures Research Center. 1.1.2005-28.2.2008.
- Researcher, Turku School of Economics, Finland Futures Research Center. 1.9.2002-31.12.2004
- Researcher, Tampere University of Technology, Institute of Occupational Safety Engineering, part-time, 1.9.-31.12.2000.
- Researcher, Tampere University of Technology, Institute of Occupational Safety Engineering, full-time, 8.5.-31.8.2000.
Research funding as well as leadership and supervision
Leader of the following research projects:
- Politics, practices and the transformative potential of sustainable diets (POPRASUS). Leader of the work package 1. Steering diet, producing sustainable consumer-agency?, funded by Academy of Finland. 01.09.2016 – 31.08.2020.
- Rethinking the framework of sustainability: sustainability transition and food consumption (ReFrame 2050), funded by University of Tampere, School of Management, 1.8.2015-31.7.2018.
- Sustainable consumption and plant-based diets –From concepts to governance (SUSTA 2060), funded by University of Eastern Finland. 1.1.2013-31.07.2015.
- Consumption Structure in Pirkanmaa region 2015-project, funded by TE-centre. 1.1.2005-30.5.2005.
- I have also received personal grants from the following funds: 14. Erasmus staff exchange 2013 (post-doctoral researcher exchange); 13. Institute for Natural Resources, Environment and Society 2013 (post-doctoral researcher exchange); 12. Turku School of Economics supporting fund 2010 (Doctoral thesis); 11. Turku School of Economics supporting fund 2007 (Doctoral thesis); 10. Foundation for Economic Education 2007 (Doctoral thesis); 9. Foundation for Economic Education 2007 (conference attendance); 8. Turku School of Economics supporting fund 2005 (Doctoral thesis); 7. The Finnish Cultural Foundation Pirkanmaa Province 2004 (Doctoral thesis); 6. Foundation for Economic Education 2003 (Doctoral thesis); 5. Finnish Food and Drink Industries Fund 2003 (Doctoral thesis); 4. Gyllenberg Treasury Fund 1999 (payment for master’s thesis work); 3. Tampere University Support Fund 1998 (for studies abroad); 2. Tampere Business Education Fund 1998 (for studies abroad); 1. Tampere Business Education Fund 1997 (for master’s studies).
Merits in teaching and pedagogical competence
I have completed PEDAYOP Basic studies in university pedagogy 25 ECTS.
- PEDAYOP1 Introduction to university pedagogy (10 ECTS) in the University of Tampere, completed in 2016.; PEDAYOP2 Curriculum in Higher Education (5 ECTS) in the University of Tampere, completed in January 2017.; PEDAYOP4 Participatory development project (5 ECTS) in the University of Tampere, completed in January 2017.; PEDAYOP3 Academic Supervision and Guidance (5 ECTS) in the University of Tampere, completed in May 2017.
Awards, prizes and honours
- Awards, prizes and honours granted for scientific, artistic or research merits or on the basis of the recipient’s academic career: The Finnish Society for Futures Studies: The Future award 2011. For the meritorious thesis work that dealt with the future of meat eating and for defending Future Studies as a science.
Other academic merits
- Service as a member in dissertation committees: head of the evaluation committee of dissertation. University of Tampere 2017.
- Evaluation of academic/scientific competence: member of the selection committee of economics professor. University of Tampere 2018.
- Evaluation of academic/scientific competence: member of the selection committee of economics lecturer. University of Tampere 2018.
- Evaluation of academic/scientific competence (e.g. title of docent): evaluator of competence for the title of docent. University of Jyväskylä 2017.
- Member of international peer evaluation committees of funding applications: The Swiss National Science Foundation, 2013.
- Memberships and positions of trust in scientific and scholarly societies: The Finnish Society for Futures Studies member of the board, 2012-2015; Finnish Society for Environmental Social Science, member/vice member of the board, 2010-> current; Finnish Society for Human-Animal Studies, member of the board, 2010-2011.
- Member of Advisory/Scientific board: The 13th Nordic Environmental Social Science Conference (organized by University of Tampere) 2017; Future of Food conference (organized by University of Turku), member of scientific committee, 2012-2013; Finnish national advisory board on biotechnology. Vice member 10.2.2005-31.12.2007.
- Visiting editor of the following journals: Futura, The Finnish Society for Futures Studies-journal. Issue about Utopias and dystopias. Published in 2017: Futures, The journal of policy, planning and futures studies, Elsevier, Special Issue: Futures for Food. Published in 2016; Progress in Industrial Ecology, Inderscience Publishers. Special issue Consumer society and future of sustainability, Vol. 6, Is. 4, 2009.
- Referee for scientific and scholarly journals: 15. International Journal of the Sociology of Agriculture and Food 2018; 14. Environmental Innovation and Societal Transitions 2018; 13. British Food Journal, Emerald, 2017, 2018; 12. Trends in Food Science & Technology, 2016; 11. Meat Science, Elsevier, 2016; 10. Ecological economics, Elsevier, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018; 9. International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition, Informa Healthcare, 2014; 8. Journal of Rural Studies, Elsevier, 2014; 7. Futures, The journal of policy, planning and futures studies, Elsevier, 2014, 2015, 2016; 6. Journal of Consumer Policy, Springer, 2013; 5. Food Policy, Elsevier, 2008, 2013; 4. Journal of Bioethical Inquiry, Springer, 2012; 3. Futura, The Finnish Society for Futures Studies, 2013; 2. Sustainability: Science, Practice, & Policy, by ProQuest, 2012; 1. Progress in Industrial Ecology, (PIE), Inderscience Publishers, 2012.
- Administrative responsibilities at higher education institutions or at research organisations, responsibilities in the higher education community: I have been a member of the postgraduate study commission in the School of Management at the University of Tampere, starting 10.2.2016-2017. In this position I have, for example, drafted the research plan temple for the postgraduate students to be used in the School.
- Invited keynote lectures abroad: Key note speaker, 59th International Congress of Meat Science and Technology (ICoMST), 18 to the 23 August 2013, in Izmir, Turkey.
Scientific and societal impact of research
- More than 30 scientific articles in journals such as Ecological Economics, Journal of Cleaner Production, Technological forecasting and social change, Public Health Nutrition and Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics. International book chapters with for example Oxford University Press, Routledge and Wageningen Academic Publishers. Finnish book chapters with for example Gaudeamus and Into.
- In addition to my research and teaching I consider it very important for a scholar to be an active participant in societal discussions (“Be the change that you wish to see in the world”). This means that I have appeared recurrently in the traditional media (more than ten TV interviews, thirteen radio interviews and over 55 newspaper interviews). I have also given presentations to different interest groups about food consumption and sustainable development. Since 2014, I have delivered fifteen public lectures at for example the Finnish Innovation Fund Sitra, Fazer Group (one of the largest food companies in Finland), City of Tampere as well as Maj and Tor Nessling Foundation.