Last name: VINNARI
First names: MARKUS VALTTERI
Place and date of birth: Tampere, 19.9.1975
For publications see: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Markus_Vinnari
Post-Doctoral researcher: University of Tampere, School of Management, Environmental Policy, 1.8.2015-31.7.2018. Project: Rethinking the framework of sustainability: sustainability transition and food consumption (ReFrame 2050).
Adjunct Professor (Docent) of Economic Sociology (specializing in Sustainable Development and Consumption), University of Turku, Department of Economic Sociology, 2013. Teaching demonstration grade: good.
Doctor of Science in Economics and Business Administration, Turku School of Economics, University of Turku, Department of Economic Sociology, 2010.
Master of Science (Engineering) Tampere University of Technology, Department of Environmental Technology. Major subject: Environmental Biotechnology 2003.
Master of Science (Economics), University of Tampere, 1999. Major subject: Economics. Minor subjects: Accounting and Finance, Statistics.
NCO Noncommissioned Officer School, Pori brigade, Säkylä, 1995.
Under-graduate, Tampere Normal school, 1994.
Politics, practices and the transformative potential of sustainable diets (POPRASUS). Leader of the work package 1. Steering diet, producing sustainable consumer-agency?, funded by Academy of Finland. 01.09.2016 – 31.08.2020
Rethinking the framework of sustainability: sustainability transition and food consumption (ReFrame 2050), funded by University of Tampere, School of Management, 1.8.2015-31.7.2018.
Sustainable consumption and plant-based diets –From concepts to governance (SUSTA 2060), funded by University of Eastern Finland. 1.1.2013-31.7.2015.
Consumption Structure in Pirkanmaa region 2015-project, funded by TE-centre. 1.1.2005-30.5.2005
Politicised animals: The consumer and farm animals (POLLE) project, funded by Academy of Finland. 1.1.2009-31.12.2012.
Bridging the value-action gap – Combining producers, consumers and expert perspectives for sustainable food consumption (BRIGADE) project, funded by Academy of Finland. 1.1.2006-31.12.2009
What’s for Dinner Tomorrow? – The Future of the Finnish Food Consumption Structure and the Change Agents Guiding It (MIRHAMI 2030), funded by Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry 1.1.2007-31.12.2008.
Eco-efficiency now and in the Future- Comparative studies on state, sector and product levels, funded by the Finnish Funding Agency for Technology and Innovation (TEKES, 1.11.2003- 31.12.2004.
EU 5 Framework Terra -project. Writing about ASA –model application for the measurement of information age sustainability. 1.9.2003-1.11.2003
EU 5 Framework Sustainability Strategy Network, member of the network. 2003-2006.
EU 5 Framework EcoStat -project. Redeveloping European environment agency’s DPSIR environmental indicator system. 1.9.2002-31.8.2003
Developing ISO-14001 environmental management system for large Finnish company in Tampere University of Technology 8.5.-31.8.2000.
Synergies and Trade-offs between food and energy? (LUST), funded by Academy of Finland. 1.1.2010-31.12.2013
- The Finnish Society for Futures Studies: The Future award 2011. For the meritorious thesis work that dealt with the future of meat eating and for defending Future Studies as a science.
SCIENTIFIC EXPERT POSITIONS
- Trends in Food Science & Technology, 2016;
- Meat Science, Elsevier, 2016;
- Ecological economics, Elsevier, 2014, 2015, 2016;
- International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition, Informa Healthcare, 2014;
- Journal of Rural Studies, Elsevier, 2014;
- Futures, The journal of policy, planning and futures studies, Elsevier, 2014, 2015, 2016;
- Journal of Consumer Policy, Springer, 2013;
- Food Policy, Elsevier, 2008, 2013;
- Journal of Bioethical Inquiry, Springer, 2012;
- Futura, The Finnish Society for Futures Studies, 2013;
- Sustainability: Science, Practice, & Policy, by ProQuest, 2012;
- Progress in Industrial Ecology, (PIE), Inderscience Publishers, 2012.
- Futura, The Finnish Society for Futures Studies-journal. Issue about Utopias and dystopias. To be published in 2017.
- Futures, The journal of policy, planning and futures studies, Elsevier, Special Issue: Futures for Food. Published in 2016.
- Progress in Industrial Ecology, Inderscience Publishers. Special issue Consumer society and future of sustainability, Vol. 6, Is. 4, 2009.
Reviewer of grant applications
The Swiss National Science Foundation, 2013
Member of board in scientific organizations
- The Finnish Society for Futures Studies, member of the board, 2012->
- Finnish Society for Environmental Social Science, vice member of the board, 2010->
- Finnish Society for Human-Animal Studies, member of the board, 2010-2011.
Member of Advisory board
- Future of Food conference (organized by University of Turku), member of scientific committee, 2012-2013.
- Finnish national advisory board on biotechnology. Vice member 10.2.2005-31.12.2007.
- The Science Forum 2013, University of Eastern Finland 30.8.2013.
- Key note speaker, 59th International Congress of Meat Science and Technology (ICoMST), 18 to the 23 August 2013, in Izmir, Turkey.
- The Science Forum 2013, University of Helsinki, “The Wrestle of the Day” with Professor Mikael Fogelholm.
Draft report: Interlinkages between Biological Diversity and Climate Change and Advice on the Integration of Biodiversity Considerations into the Implementation of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and its Kyoto Protocol. Convention on Biological Diversity, with Jyrki Luukkanen 2003.
Visiting Scholar, Consumer & Behaviour Research Area, LEI research institute University of Wageningen, Netherlands, 1.4.2013-30.4.2013. Working with Dr. Hans Dagevons.
Visiting Scholar, at the Institute of Food and Resource Economics, LIFE, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, 1.3.2009-27.6.2009. Working with Professor Peter Sandøe.
Visiting Scholar, at the Institute of Food and Resource Economics, LIFE, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, 7.3.2008-27.6.2008. Working with Professor Peter Sandøe.
Visiting Scholar, at the Environmental Policy Group, 1.10.2006-23.2.2007. Working in the research group of Professors Arthur Mol and Gert Spaargaren.
Exchange Student, University of Groningen, the Netherlands, 1.9.-31.12.1998
PREVIOUS PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Post-Doc researcher, University of Eastern Finland, Environmental policy, 1.10.2010-31.7.2015.
Researcher, University of Eastern Finland, Environmental policy, 1.3.2009-30.9.2010.
Research trainee, Turku School of Economics, Finland Futures Research Centre, TULIO researcher school, 1.10.2008-28.2.2009.
Researcher, Turku School of Economics, Rector research school, 1.3.-30.9.2008.
Project Manager, Turku School of Economics, Finland Futures Research Center. 1.1.2005-28.2.2008.
Researcher, Turku School of Economics, Finland Futures Research Center. 1.9.2002-31.12.2004
Researcher, Tampere University of Technology, Institute of Occupational Safety Engineering, part-time, 1.9.-31.12.2000.
Researcher, Tampere University of Technology, Institute of Occupational Safety Engineering, full-time, 8.5.-31.8.2000.
Post graduate level
Lecturer: Theories and Methods for Social Studies of Environmental Issues, University of Eastern Finland, Environmental Policy, 15.3.2013.
Commentator: Philosophical, Methodological and Pragmatic Approaches to Scientific Futures Research, University of Turku, Finland Futures Academy, 6-8.11.2013.
Commentator: Philosophical, Methodological and Pragmatic Approaches to Scientific Futures Research, University of Turku, Finland Futures Academy, 28–30.11.2012.
Masters degree level
Course organizer and examiner: HALYEP12 Global Risks and Environmental Security (5 ECTS). University of Tampere, 2015-2016.
Course organizer and lecturer: FUTU1 Foundations of Futures Studies (5 ECTS), Summer University of Tampere, Open University, Autumn 2015.
Lecturer: FUTU2, Methods in Futures Studies, lecture about Delphi method, Summer University of Tampere, Open University, 27.1.2016.
Lecturer: Expertise and Everyday Environmental Policy (HALYAA13), University of Tampere, 23.9.2015.
Lecturer: Food and Society, University of Eastern Finland, Environmental Policy, 4.-5.12.2013.
Lecturer and examiner: Global Challenges and Sustainable Futures (FUTUS7), University of Turku, Futures Studies Master Program, 9.1.2012 and 14.1.2013
Lecturer: Sustainable Development Studies study module, University of Turku, 2012.
Lecturer: Course TSS12, Perspectives in Economic Sociology, Trends in Meat Consumption and Vegetarianism. University of Turku, Economic Sociology, 2010, 13.2.2013, 21.3.2016.
Lecturer: Sustainable Futures. Environment, Culture, Society, Economy. Introduction to the course Sustainable Development – The Background. Turku School of Economics. 2008.
Lecturer: Changes in Meat Consumption. University of Tampere, Environmental Policy, 2007.
Lecturer: Animals as a Phenomenon in Modern Society. Turku School of Economics. Economic Sociology, TS6, 2006.
Bachelors degree level
Lecturer: Driver license in Foresight, Summer University of Tampere 23.10.2012.
Lecturer: What is Future studies? Tampere University of Applied Sciences, 2010 and 2012.
- Erasmus staff exchange 2013 (post-doctoral researcher exchange);
- Institute for Natural Resources, Environment and Society 2013 (post-doctoral researcher exchange);
- Turku School of Economics supporting fund 2010 (Doctoral thesis);
- Turku School of Economics supporting fund 2007 (Doctoral thesis);
- Foundation for Economic Education 2007 (Doctoral thesis);
- Foundation for Economic Education 2007 (conference attendance);
- Turku School of Economics supporting fund 2005 (Doctoral thesis);
- The Finnish Cultural Foundation Pirkanmaa Province 2004 (Doctoral thesis);
- Foundation for Economic Education 2003 (Doctoral thesis);
- Finnish Food and Drink Industries Fund 2003 (Doctoral thesis);
- Gyllenberg Treasury Fund 1999 (payment for master’s thesis work);
- Tampere University Support Fund 1998 (for studies abroad);
- Tampere Business Education Fund 1998 (for studies abroad);
- Tampere Business Education Fund 1997 (for master’s studies).